Monday, October 24, 2011

Buluu. Acrylic, Graphite, Digital, 8 x 10”, 2011

This piece is part of a self-driven side project of portraits. Visually, this series was inspired by Hans Silvester’s photography of the people of the Omo Valley in Africa. They decorate themselves with bright stark paint, flowers, leaves and fruits. I’ll be experimenting with my drawing, digital and painting sensibilities and trying to bridge them together. I already discovered a couple new ways to work with this piece which is the reason why artistic experimentation is a must for any creative that wants to stay motivated, fresh and unique. As I work on this series and build my visual library, I hope to get some of it into my final illustration work and the rest of the 12 portfolio pieces.

On a side note, Supersketch at Quirk Gallery last Wednesday was awesome and I can’t wait to do it again. Thanks to Emerald Grippa and everyone at Quirk Gallery for giving us good drinks and an open place to draw. To top it off, I sold a sketch that night as well.

I also just found out that I will be working on a comic project that will be out sometime next year. Once I know what I can and can’t share, I’ll reveal more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment